Tarje Guttormson obituary

Article Type: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, January 31, 1913
Publication Date Is Approx: 



T. Guttormson was born in Thellemar Riu, Norway June 28th 1826 and died at his home northeast of Lyle January 23 1913, age 86 years 6 mo, and 25 days. He was the youngest of 5 children all of whom has gone before him in eternity. His father died when he was a child, and an aunt took care of him and taught him to read. He was baptised in the Lutheran church as an infant and confirmed by Rev Wettergren at the age of 15.

He was soon after sent to a school in Morgedal where he spent two winters. At the age of 17 he began teaching school in Laurdal. Later he taught in Hoidalsmo and Odefjeld. In April 1857 he went to America and in June came to Dane Co. Wis. Around New Years 1858 he was married to Liv Targesen, who lived happily with him 28 years. She died in 1886 and was buried in Six Mile Grove Cemetery.

Five children were born in this marriage two boys and three daughters. One daughter, Sigrid died in 1885. The other four children; Rev O. T. Lee of Northwood Ia., Rev G. T. Lee of Glenwood, Minn., Mrs. H. Turtedal and Mrs. H. Ashley were present at the funeral. There are 23 childrens children of whom 17 also were present to show their last respect to grandpa.

In 1862 he moved out west and settled near Delavan Minn, but was after a few months driven away by the Indians.

He came to Nevada township where he lived ever since. His boys were at an early age sent to school. The older attended St. Olaf Northfield, Minn. Both graduated from Luther College, Decorah Ia. With the degree of Batchelor (sic) of Arts Both chose the theological course, the older studying two years in St. Louis Mo. and one year in Madison, Wis. and the younger spend 3 years in Minneapolis both finishing as pastors and have since been in active work in the Norwegian Synod.

The struggle to keep the boys at school for nine years was no small struggle. It was connected with much self sacrifice. But he was willing to make the sacrifice and give his boys to the service of the church.

Several years ago he turned the farm over to the oldest daughter, Anna, married to Hans Turtedel (sic). He had the luck to have his other, daughter Triue (sic), married to Hans Ashley, close by. His declining years were spent in religious reading. one book after the other was perused and the contents enjoyed. He prepared his house and was ready for the calling of the master. on the 23rd of January his spirit took flight and as we believe entered the rest that awaits the children of God.

Monday was set for interment. About noon neighbors and friends gathered at the old home where Rev. O.T. Lee conducted a short ritualistic service. The procession came to the church about 2 P.M. where the ministers from Glenville and Albert Lea were taken in Rev Lee's auto from Lyle.

Ruth Lund played the funeral march and Rev. G. Forde of Glenville delivered the address from the pulpit. After this Rev H. J. Strand of Albert Leas who had been the pastor of the deceased, spoke about the Christian's warfare. Rev A. O. Sauer, who also for sometime has been the pastor of the deceased spoke on Abraham and his interment by his 2 sons and made proper application.

Rev G. T. Lee younger son , spoke of remembrances and the example that father had left.

Rev. O. T. Lee, older son, read an obituary and stated that instead of having an elaborate floral display on the coffin the children had agreed to send $20 to the old Peoples Home in Stoughton Wis., as a tribute and remembrance to father.

He brought his own his brothers and and sisters thanks to father for what he had done for them. He also brought fathers thanks to neighbors and friend for all they had done for him in days gone by, and hoped there might be a meeting again when parting is no more in eternal rest.

The face of the departed was viewed and then laid to rest beside his wife. Rev. Forde read the ritual at the grave.