Sturdy Pioneer and Prominent Citizen Passed Away Sunday (L. M. Rawn)

Article Type: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, November 12, 1915
Publication Date Is Approx: 
Referenced Places: 

Sturdy Pioneer and Prominent
Citizen Passed Away Sunday

L. M. Rawn died at his farm home "Oakgrove" at about 9:45 Sunday morning, November 7, 1915, after an attack of less than two hours' duration of neuralgia of the heart. Mr. Rawn was at the time of his death 69 years 9 months and 8 days old.

Lauritz Madson Rawn was born in Hadesley, Denmark, on January 29, 1846. At the age of fourteen he came with his parents to America, settling in Manitowoc, Wis., at which place he grew to manhood. For several years he followed the life of a sailor and at the age of eighteen enlisted in Co. "D" 52nd Wis. Inf. Volunteers and received an honorable discharge June 7, 1865.

April 6, 1867 he was married to Marie Peterson at Manitowoc, Wis. To this union five children were born all of whom are left to mourn their father's departure. M. J. Rawn of Wadena, Minn.; Mrs. C. A. Fletcher of Cohasset, Minn.; Mrs. L. P. Erickson and Dan Rawn of Austin and Walter Rawn of Lyle.

After his marriage Mr. Rawn followed the business of photographer until 1879 when with his family he came to Minnesota, locating on his present farm one mile west of Lyle. His wife died May 8, 1904.

In 1907 Mr. Rawn was married to Mrs. Henriette Anderson who also survives him. He leaves one sister, Mrs. P. Johnson of Clarksgrove, Minn.

Deceased was until his declining years prominent in political and social life of the community in which he lived. He was a man of unusual intellect and possessed many of the higher qualities that make for noble manhood. He was a great lover of home and his greatest pleasure was when his children could be with him. He was a kind parent and loyal to his adopted country.

Deceased had been in failing health for many years but the past two months had been harder than usual and while his death was not wholly unexpected, it came as a great shock to his family. He arose as usual at 8 o'clock Sunday morning. Suddenly he was taken with an attack of the heart. He fully realized that the end was at hand. Mrs. Erickson and Dan Rawn were called to his bedside who with Walter Rawn and his wife were with him when he died. All that loving hands and medical aid could do was done for him. He was conscious until the last when he fell into the long sleep as peacefully as a little child. The rest that he so longed for is his.

The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at the Congregational church conducted by Rev. Evans assisted by the Grand Army Post of Austin. Interment was made in Woodbury cemetery.