Olaus Hagna obituary

Article Type: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, December 8, 1922
Publication Date Is Approx: 
Referenced Places: 

O N Hagna Fatally Injured

Struck by North-bound Passenger Train at Mona Saturday
While Returning to His Home at Austin with
A Load of Wood- Died in a Few
Hours After the Accident.

The people of Lyle and community were shocked Saturday afternoon when news reached here that Olans N. Hagna of Austin had been struck at the Mona crossing by the north bound I. C. passenger train and fatally injured.

Mr. Hagna had made many trips recently over the same crossing while hauling wood from Mrs. Hagna's farm to Austin, and was on his way home with a load when the accident occurred.

The train struck the truck in the middle and threw the load and truck up the track about 100 feet. Mr. Hagna and the cab were caught on the front of the engine and carried about 400 feet. The train stopped and brought the injured man to Lyle, where he was given medical attention at once. A few minutes later the ambulance came down from Austin and he was rushed to the hospital, but he never regained consciousness, and died soon after.

Olaus N. Hagna was born on a farm near a Blooming Prairie on April 21, 1874, and has lived in this county all his life, moving to Austin about three years ago shortly after his marriage to Miss Jennie C. Pierson of Lyle on November 27, 1919.

Mr. Hagna attended St. Olaf College, Northfield, and following the completion of his studies returned to his home to assist his father with the conduct of his farm work. During his residence in Austin, Mr. Hagna devoted most of his time to supervising the operation of his farm near Blooming Prairie and that of Mrs. Hagna's near Mona.

Besides his wife and father, Nels Hagna of Blooming Prairie, the deceased is survived by three sisters: Mrs. Helene Peterson and Lena Lewis of Blooming Prairie and Mrs. Emma Reierson of Northfield; and three brothers, Nels N. of Blooming Prairie, and Ben and Henry of Watertown, S. D.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon from the home at Austin, and the Lutheran church of that city and the remains were laid to rest in the Pleasant Hill cemetery at Mona, Ia. Rev. Noss of Austin had charge of the services.

A number from Lyle went to Austin to attend the funeral.