Kare Everson baby coroner inquest

Article Type: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, December 18, 1873
Publication Date Is Approx: 
Referenced Places: 

CORONER'S INQUEST- On the 2nd day of December. 1873, G. H. Knowlton, Coroner, held an inquest on the body of an infant child, at the residence of Holver Oleson, of Otranto township. The circumstances surrounding the birth and death of the child are still shrouded in mystery. It seems that about two months ago a servant girl by the name of Kare Everson, aged about 18, was employed to do housework for the family of Mr. Oleson. Soon after she took up her abode with them, Mrs. Oleson accused the girl of being [illegible: enceiente,?] but she stoutly denied the fact and maintained that she was not to become a mother. On the evening of the 27th of November she retired to bed as usual and the next morning was about as usual, got breakfast, and after breakfast Mr. Oleson took his team and started with her and her trunk for the depot at Lyle; she had given previous notice that she wanted to go to her home among her friends, at Albert Lea, Minn. After they had left Lyle, Mrs. Oleson discovered that the girl had been confined, and sent her son after his father, giving him directions to have him return home and to bring the girl back with him, as she had discovered that there was something wrong with the girl. After they had returned to the house, the girl's trunk was examined and a dead child found therein. The particulars will be gathered from the testimony published below.

The Coroner was notified, and on the 2d of December held an inquest on the body, the following persons having been summoned to act as jurors, to wit: -Stephen Bates, Halvor Austinson and Torsten Reierson. The following facts were developed by the testimony, towit:

Halver Oleson being duly sworn, says: My name is Halver Oleson. I forty four years of age, reside at Otranto and am by occupation a farmer. On the morning of the 28th day of November, 1873. I started to carry Kare Everson, who had been living at my house, to Lyle, in Minnesota. I went to Mona. My son came after me, at my wife's request, to come back and bring Kare with me. Then I came back to my house. I first saw the child in my house after I came back from Mona. My wife took it out of Kare's trunk. There was nothing in the trunk. A rag was wound around the child and a blanket belonging to me was spread over the child. The child was blue-black in the face when taken out of the trunk. Saw no marks of violence on the child except just about the knee, on one of his legs; it was black and blue. The child was in the trunk that was in my wagon, belonging to Kare Everson.

Ragnild Oleson being duly sworn, deposes and says: Kare Everson admitted to me, Nov 27th, 1873, that the child was alive on the 27th of November, before its birth. I did not ask her if the child was alive when born. I first saw the child Nov. 28th, 1873, after my husband and Kare came from Mona. I then found it in her trunk under a blanket. I first asked her where she had the child; she gave me no answer. I then sent my son out to bring in her trunk. I then lookin in her (Kare's) trunk. First found a blanket, then the child. Kare went up stairs when I opened the trunk. I saw no marks on the child except it looked black and blue. Did not hear any noise during the night of November 27th and 28th. Kare admitted to me that it was about twelve o'clock when the child was born, and about five o'clock in the morning when she took the child from the bed and put it in the trunk. Kare said she did not know where there was any life in the child or not after it was born. I saw no signs of blood or froth about the mouth. There was a little blood on the front of the lips, but none in the corners of the mouth. I did not hear her admit to any one anything different from what I have stated above. The child was a boy.

Jens Oleson being duly sworn, deposes and said: I was at home on the night of Nov. 27th and 28th. I slept in the same room with Kare Everson; my bed stood about six feet from the one Kare slept in. I heard no noise of any description in the room that night. Was awake about three o'clock in the morning; lay awake about ten or fifteen minutes; did not hear Kare move or stir, as I remember. Kare asked me in the morning If I heard her up in the night; she said she had been drunk, and had to use the veasel. There was no other persons in the room that night, to my knowledge, except Kare and four of my younger brothers. Did not hear any brothers say anything about hearing any noise in the room that night.

After the testimony was closed, the Jury returned the following verdict.

Mitchell County

An inquisition, holden at Otranto township, in Mitchell county, on the 2nd day of December, A. D. 1873, before G. H. Knowlton, Coroner of said county, upon the body of an infant male child there lying dead, by the Jurors whose names are hereunto subscribed. The said Jurors, upon their oaths, do say that the infant male child, the deceased, came to his death in a way and manner unknown to the Jury.

Given under our hands at the time and place of said inquisition above mentioned.
S. Bates,
T. Reierson
H. Austinson,

G. H. Knowlton, Coroner.