John Larson obituary

Article Type: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, October 24, 1913
Publication Date Is Approx: 
Referenced Places: 

The remains of the late John M. Larson who died at Marion N. D., last week Wednesday was brought here for burial accompanied by Mrs. Larson and Chris Johnson. The funeral was held at the Lutheran church Sunday afternoon and interment was made in Pleasant Hill cemetery. Those who attended the funeral from abroad were Mrs. Larson's mother, Mrs. Anderson and Mr. and Mrs. Rogne of Adams Minn., the deceased's sisters from Northfield and Mabel, Minn. We copy the following obituary from the Marion Sentinel:

John M. Larson one of the most highly respected citizens of this community, was called to his eternal home early Wednesday, after an illness of about ten days. He was taken ill with typhoid fever Oct. 7th, and apparently was improving until last week Friday when he took a sudden turn for the worse and on Saturday complications in the way of perforations of the bowels set in. An operation was performed in the hope that his life might be spared, but to no avail and after slowly sinking he was called to his heavenly home on Wednesday at 1:30 A.M.

Mr. Larson was born in Mona, Iowa, in 1868. He was united in marriage to Miss Anna Anderson at Adams, Minn., their union being blessed with two children, both of whom survive. In 1906 he moved to Marion and located on a farm in Saratoga township, four miles west of town where he has since made his home.

John M. Larson was a man honored and respected by all who knew him, upright in all his business dealings and honest with his fellow-men. He was of a sturdy constitution, excellent habits and of fine moral character. He was kind hearted and industrious and will be greatly missed by all. A host of friends are deeply grieved by his death and his wife and children are bowed with sorrow. Not a man, not a woman, not a person in the community but feels the deepest sympathy for Mrs. Larson and her children and nothing is being left undone to comfort them and assuage their grief. To make matters even more sad, Inez the eldest daughter is also ill with typhoid fever, although at present writing her chances for recovery are very favorable.

He is survived by his sorrowing wife and two children, a daughter Inez, aged 10 years and a son Jesse, aged 1 year and three sisters and two brothers and a host of friends who sincerely mourn his early demise.

Funeral services were held at 1:00 o'clock p. m. today at the Congregational church, Rev. Olafson speaking in Norwegian and Rev. Peters in the English language. The remains were taken to Lyle, Minn., for interment. The Modern Woodmen of which order he was a member attended the funeral in a body. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful and give evidence of the high place he held in the hearts and minds of the fellow men.