Esther Hotson obituary
Again the Master's summons "Come up higher," has been answered for the second time in the home of Mr. and Mrs. T. A. Hotson. Just one month and two days had passed, after the husband and father had been called home, until the wife and mother was called hence on Monday, Feb. 7.
Esther E. Guttridge wife of Thomas A. Hotson was born 86 years ago last April in the village of Emneth, Norfolk, Co., England, making her well spent, well rounded life many years beyond the allotted time.
An interesting fact concerning both Mr. and Mrs. Hotson, who have so recently passed away, is, that they were both born in the same village, living but a few doors apart played together as little children, attended the same school, and grew to manhood and womanhood in the home village.
They were married in 1849 at the little seaport town of Wisbech, three and one-half miles from the home village, in an old, time-honored, moss-covered church centuries old. The church building was erected by the Catholics when they held religious sway, but at the time Mr. and Mrs. Hotson were married, it was in the possession of the M. E. denomination. It was especially noted, as an historical building, because it was the resting place of many of the royal families.
Mr. and Mrs. Hotson remained in England five years after their marriage and here two of their children were born, a son and daughter.
They took voyage from Liverpool for America and were six weeks and four days making the trip. It was during this voyage that one of the saddest events in the father's and mother's life took place, when the little year and a half baby girl, took sick and was buried at sea.
On reaching New Orleans they made a short stop and then proceeded by boat up the Mississippi river, to St. Louis. After a short stay here they moved on to St. Claire Co., Ill. Here they lived for eight years and here three sons were born.
The climate not agreeing with them, they came north to Minnesota making the entire trip from the Gulf of Mexico to Caledonia by boat and then overland by team to Mower County, arriving here Dec. 16, 1862, on the 33rd birthday anniversary of Mr. Hotson. Here was born the youngest daughter.
On reaching Minnesota, Mr. and Mrs. Hotson bought 160 acres of raw prairie land, which they improved and where they lived for over fifty-three years, and which was their home at the time of their death.
Mr. Hotson bought a piece of timber, cut and hauled the logs which were sawed into lumber and erected a house, one of the few frame buildings then found on the Minnesota prairie. This was the home of this worthy couple for years until it was replaced by the comfortable house in which they have lived for several years.
Mr. and Mrs. Hotson lived together over 66 years. They were both lifelong members of the M. E. church.
Five children survive: Atkin of Austin; Thomas of Dakota; Fred and Mrs. Emma Knesskern of Austin Township; Will, of Lyle Township, who has lived and operated the home place for 23 years and has been the mainstay of the parents during these years.
All the children were present except one son, Thomas, during the last illness at the time of the death of both parents.
Rev. Mahony of the Austin M. E. church conducted the services Wednesday afternoon at the late home. The same bearers who acted for Mr. Hotson, also gave their service for Mrs. Hotson and she was laid to rest by her husband in Enterprise Cemetery.