Elida Esser obituary

Article Type: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, December 6, 1907
Publication Date Is Approx: 
Referenced Places: 


The community was shocked, Monday, when sad news was passed from one to another that Mrs. N.N. Esser had died about 11 o'clock that morning. She had been ailing for some time, in fact had not been well for years, however no immediate danger seemed close at hand. Sunday, she was able to sit up and was able to eat a little. In the evening her condition changed for the worse and she was only able to live with her family a few hours longer.

She was a sweet kindly disposition and though her body was not strong, bore her lot patiently. During her short stay in Lyle, she won many dear friends, who will ever cherish her memory. Words utterly fail to measure the influence of such a life, though numbered by only a few fleeting years.

Mrs. Elida B. Esser was born in Thronjhem, Norway, March 26th 1879. At an early age she came with her parents to this country and settled in Minneapolis, where her father Rev. L. C. Johnson accepted a call from a Congregational church. There Miss Elida received her education, attending the South Side High School. When she was 16 years old, her parents moved to Alpena, Mich., where her father had accepted a charge. In the year 1902 she was married to Rev. N. N. Esser, who was assistant pastor of the Rev. T. H. Dahl D. D., president of the United Lutheran Church of America, residing at Stoughton, Wis. In September of that year they moved to Scandinavia, Wis., where Rev. Esser had been elected to the presidency of the church Academy: Here the family remained about four years. Her health failing, it was thought that if she could return to Minnesota she would be well again and the change was made when the opportunity presented itself in the call extended Rev. Esser from the Lutheran congregations at this place about two years ago. This change however did not help her but her health seemed rather to fail until her death on Monday last.

She leaves a husband and three little children; Signor, 4 year old last July, Norman 2 years old last February and Ruth Beatrice, born last January, besides her father, mother one brother and three sisters; all of Alpena, Mich.

The funeral took place Thursday afternoon and interment was made in the church cemetery at Mona and was conducted by Rev. Waldeland, assisted by Rev. Eggen.