Andrew Anderson obituary

Article Type: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, October 29, 1910
Publication Date Is Approx: 
Referenced Places: 

Obituary of And. H. Anderson.

On Tuesday afternoon occurred the funeral of one of Lyle's best known and influential citizens, who was laid to rest after months of suffering. The concourse of neighbors and friends that gathered to pay their last respects to the departed dead was one of the largest assemblies gathered at a local funeral for some time. How often it has been our duty to chronicle the death of some of the older citizens, but how few have known for months before the great reaper came to gather them in, that they were so near the end of their earthly pilgrimage, and how few have awaited the time when they should be called from their suffering as eagerly as did A. H. Anderson, who passed from this life Saturday morning at 11:30. For the past thirty years he has gone up and down our streets taking an active part in Lyle's business affairs, serving the people in many positions of honor and trust, and contributing a generous share toward all lines of advancement. He had been in good health until last January. He then visited several specialists, who gave him little or no hope of life beyond a few months, saying that he had cancer of the stomach. Mr. Anderson at once proceeded to close up his business affairs and looked for the end with patience and hope. During the weeks that he was confined to his room he was visited by many of his old friends and acquaintances, and few left his bedside with dry eyes. During these weeks we have heard many speak of Mr. Anderson in loving and tender terms, and many have told of his deeds of kindness to them, and expressed their regret that he should so soon be called from his life of activity.

Andrew H. Anderson was born Nov. 15, 1845, in Drammen, Norway, and died Oct. 29th, 1910 at the age of 66 years, 11 months and 14 days. He came to America with his parents Halvor Anderson and Anna Marie Haagensdatta Anderson, one brother Henry and one sister Anna Regina, the latter alone of his family survives him. He left Norway May 18, 1853, and arrived at Quebec, Canada, after nine weeks hard voyage, at which time his mother died. From Quebec they went to Town of Norway, Racine county, Wisconsin, where they stayed until the spring of 1853. At this time his father was married to Maren Peddersdatter. From here by ox team they moved to Otranto, Mitchell county, Iowa, arriving at that place about July 1, 1854, where his father took a homestead and built a home, where he lived until his death in 1898, at 82 years of age. Andrew H. Anderson stayed at home with his parents until the winter of 1868, when he went to Washington Co., Neb., where he took up a homestead on which he lived seven years.

He was married to Barbara Olive Blakkestad, Dec. 28, 1871, by Rev. C. L. Clausen of St. Ansgar, Ia. From this marriage there were seven children six of whom survive him, viz: H. O. Anderson, of Crookston, Minn.; Mrs. W. R. Hunter, Mrs. J. B. Robertson, Ida E. Anderson and R. A. Anderson of Lyle, and G. R. Anderson of Los Angeles. His wife died April 4th, 1888. He was afterward married to Mrs. Christine M. Craig in 1893, who died in October, 1900. He was later married to Mrs. Annie Myhre in February 1893, who still survives him. In 1875 he went into the lumber business at Wahoo, Neb., sold out five years later and moved with his family to Lyle, Minn., near his boyhood home, where he engaged in the hardware business for 12 years, after which he sold out and started the Exchange Bank of Lyle, Minn., which was organized into First National Bank, in 1900, of which he retained the presidency until his death. - Lyle Tribune.